1. Cut white garbage bag on the seam to make 2 identical rectangles (1 rectangle per purse).
2. Lay out garbage bag rectangle flat and measure, drawing pattern with magic marker in the middle of bag. (Example: 14”x 30” will give you a medium size purse)
3. Stick strips of duct tape on your pattern, overlapping each strip, making sure to overlap pattern edge. (Short sides will be the top of your purse)
4. Flip over garbage bag and cut out pattern.
5. Wrap BOTH short edges of rectangle by placing half the width of a strip of duct tape across the edge and folding over remaining half to the back side of the edge.
6. To make pocket:
a. cut out a piece of leftover garbage bag (slightly larger than you want the pocket to be)
b. cover with duct tape with desired pattern
c. wrap top edge of pocket (see step 5)
d. place wrapped edge of pocket parallel to one wrapped edge of purse (about 1 or 2 inches in between)
e. tape down bottom and sides of pocket.
7. To make handles:
f. cut 2 strips of duct tape 2” longer than you want your handles to be
g. fold 2/3 of the width of the strip in half and press together
h. fold remaining 1/3 of the width of the strip over folded 2/3
i. place each end of handle (with raw edge facing up) about 1” below wrapped edge (short side) of the rectangle and tape
j. repeat on other short side of purse
Note: Make sure your handles are the same width apart on each side of the purse.
8. Fold right sides of the purse together (garbage bag shows, but duct tape pattern does not) with the wrapped edges on top of each other and handles lined up.
9. Tape over side seams of the purse by laying half of a width of duct tape down one edge and folding over both layers of the purse. Repeat on other side.
10. Turn purse so wrong sides are together (pattern shows) and line side seams again (see step 9) but make sure you cut your strip of duct tape slightly longer than the length of the seam so that you can go over top edge of purse and down other side of seam (makes a clean edge on top of purse)
11. Reach into the purse and pull bottom corners into the purse (the more you pull them in the wider your purse opening will be).
12. Tape down corners to the bottom of purse and stick a strip of duct tape across the length of the bottom of the purse.
P.S. Here is a tutorial for making a duct tape wallet for the boys!
P.P.S. Duct tape in fun colors can be found at craft stores and Wal-Mart. If you want to find it at Wal-Mart go to the hardware dept. not the craft section (who knew!)